This book survey is brought you by Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner and highlights our favorite books of 2013! I apologize in advance for how much of a broken record I am going to sound, as I typically do with these surveys!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. A simply amazing true story.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau. The writing was pretty bland and even though I liked some things about it, overall I was very disappointed.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I mean, wow. I heard it was good but I couldn’t imagine HOW GOOD.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013? Probably Cinder and Scarlet, because I think most people can enjoy them.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013? The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013? Marissa Meyer
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you? I’d have to say Unbroken, a historical non-fiction account. Did I mention it’s an amazing story?
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013? Even though it was a little predictable, Cinder.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? It seems unlikely I would re-read anything as soon as next year, but Start by Jon Acuff is the most likely since it’s a quick, easy read and it’s full of good life advice!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
11. Most memorable character in 2013? Just one? Let me just name a few from the same series… Cinder, Prince Kai, Captain Thorne… Nope, just kidding, I want to talk about characters from Ender’s Game too… Ender, Valentine, Petra…
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013? The Book Thief
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? Start by Jon Acuff. I’ve been more conscious about doing things that scare me, like starting this blog, since reading it.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis. About time I wrap up The Chronicles of Narnia!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
“I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” – Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013? Shortest: Among the Nameless Stars by Diana Peterfreund. Longest: The Book Thief.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It?
Probably in The Book Thief when Death told me who all was going to die… and then when it happened… ahhhhhhhhh…
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc). Cinder and Thorne’s frenemy relationship. So funny…
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously: Start by Jon Acuff. Previously read Quitter by him.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else: Unbroken
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013? YA dystopia/sci-fi
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013? No fictional guy tops my husband, but I like Prince Kai quite a bit.
23. Best 2013 debut you read? Pivot Point by Kasie West.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013? That’s hard to say… I read a lot of great world building and imagery books. Probably The Lunar Chronicles books, but I also want to give shout-out’s to Ender’s Game, For Darkness Shows the Stars, and Across the Universe.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013? Cinder
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013? Two that did make me cry: Unbroken and The Book Thief, both about WWII. WWII makes me cry.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out? What’s Left of Me and Once We Were, both by Kat Zhang. Even though they weren’t my favorites, I enjoyed them both and don’t see them discussed much on the blogsphere.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014? I have no idea what my top priority for next year will be… there are several books I didn’t get to this year! Code Name Verity is definitely high on the list, as well as These Broken Stars.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)? Cress, the next installment of The Lunar Chronicles!
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? I’m really curious to hear more about The Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina Leno, but will have to read reviews before I know if I’m going to check it out for sure.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014? Even though I haven’t read The Elite yet, I’ll say The One by Kiera Cass. I’m hoping everyone will be happy with the ending so I can read The Elite and The One without fear, ha ha. And Echoes of Us by Kat Zhang will hopefully be closing out The Hybrid Chronicles next year. And Split Second, the second and last Pivot Point book. OK, I’m done now.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014? I hope to keep pushing myself to try new things on the blog and in my reading that will further enrich my experience with both, and that will enrich my writing as well.
Let me know if you’ve filled out Jamie’s survey too!