This fun reading survey and its graphics come from Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner!
Just a note: Some links are of my reviews and some are the Goodreads links, so you might want to hover over to see which it is.
Number Of Books You Read: (As of 12/13/14, including novellas) 45
Number of Re-Reads: 1 (a Four short story/novella)
Genre You Read The Most From: YA sci-fi/fantasy
1. Best Book You Read In 2014? Cress by Marissa Meyer, hands down.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson. It just wasn’t for me, unfortunately. 😦
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? This question is too hard for me to answer! I really don’t know!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014? I’m still pushing The Lunar Chronicles as much as possible.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014? Shadow and Bone/Siege and Storm/Ruin and Rising. Actually, Ruin and Rising ties with Goliath for best series-ender that I read this year.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014? Leigh Bardugo!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? The Distant Hours (adult fiction, also a historical-contemporary crossover)
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? Cress
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? I would like to reread Seraphina before Shadow Scale, if I can make the time.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014? Siege and Storm
11. Most memorable character of 2014? Tie between Sturmhond and Thorne. Gotta love the man sass.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014? That is a hard decision, but I’m going to say Across a Star-Swept Sea. It wasn’t really purple prosey, but some of the descriptions of the land were just beautiful.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014? The Screwtape Letters was probably the most important fictional book I read this year. Thought-Provoking Honorable Mentions are: Never Let Me Go, Code Name Verity, The 5th Wave, and The Infinite Sea
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014? I have two…
“They had an ordinary life, full of ordinary things — if love can ever be called that.” – Leigh Bardugo, Ruin and Rising
“Sometimes I think that maybe we are just stories.” – Jodi Lynn Anderson, Tiger Lily
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013? How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this year that was the shortest and longest.
Shortest: The First Star to Fall by Diana Peterfreund (Across a Star-Swept Sea prequel novella)
Longest: The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
17. Book That Shocked You The Most (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.) Code Name Verity, but honorable mentions are: We Were Liars, The Secret Hours, The Winner’s Curse, Cress, and The Inifnite Sea… I guess I read some shocking books!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) (OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar) Cress and Thorne. Seraphina and Kiggs. Don’t ask me to choose between these two ships because I won’t!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year I still really love Cinder and Thorne. My favorite though might be the Harry-Ron-Hermione friend trio from Harry Potter (I know the dynamics will change some, but as far as books 1-3 go.)
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously Cress
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure Code Name Verity and The 5th Wave
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014? If I have to choose… Kiggs (from Seraphina)
23. Best 2014 debut you read? The Land Uncharted by Keely Brooke Keith… since I only read two debuts this year…
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? I was going to say the Grisha trilogy, which is super awesome, but it’s actually probably Harry Potter… the world is just so fun! I don’t think Leigh Bardugo would mind me saying that. 🙂
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014? Code Name Verity
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? It was a 2013 release but Across a Star-Swept Sea. That book does not get enough love.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? I’m going to go with Code Name Verity… even though it took me a while to connect with it, that ending… wow.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014? I read a few unique books, but maybe Never Let Me Go. Or We Were Liars.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Parallel. I don’t hate the book, but I sure do hate Michael.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? Like I can even remember which blogs I just discovered this year… (Seriously, I don’t.)
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014? Parallel. So full of snark and Star Trek GIFs, but still pretty positive overall.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? I really enjoyed my Bookish Wedding Inspiration posts.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? SCBWI Midsouth writing conference and Leigh Bardugo solo tour in Nashville
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014? Leigh Bardugo loving my bookish wedding inspiration posts! Oh, and I was nominated for a YA Highway Web Award! Totally unexpected and exciting, even if I didn’t win.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? By comments it’s My Top 5 Favorite TV Shows and Top 5 Favorite Movies (which isn’t a book post, though it is a Top 10 Tuesday post)
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? Anything about Star Trek. Because STAR TREK. This has nothing to do with books… oh well. 🙂 And any my reviews. There is one mini-review post that has ZERO comments on it, which makes me a little sad. (I get that one of the books was a book about writing, but the other book is Split Second!) Feel free to comment on it now, if you so desire. 🙂
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? Nashville indie bookstore Parnassus! I got to go twice this year after having never been before. I probably won’t get to frequent it, but thanks to their newsletter I’ll always know what’s going on! Also, Sundog Books in Seaside, FL! I obviously won’t get to frequent there but it was so cute!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? I had a few reading goals and I accomplished all of them except reading Les Mis… I said it was OK if I didn’t finish by the end of the year if I was still actively reading it, but I haven’t picked the book up in months… so…
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015? Not #1 priority but I really want to read Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard fairly early on in 2015, since I meant to read it this year.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)? WINTER
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? It’s really hard for me to anticipate debuts since I don’t really know about the author’s writing style yet… Any time I get excited about a book by a new author I usually read reviews that make the book sound meh and never read it. Court of Fives sounds like it could be pretty cool (I mean, fantasy with some Little Women thrown in? Hello!), though it is just the author’s YA debut, not her writing debut.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015? WINTER (Do you see a pattern?)
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015? Reading: I want to read another Austen book (probably Mansfield Park), as well as pepper in a few more books that are non-traditional reads for me. Blogging wise, I am considering switching to a more author-focused site sometime in the next year, so my blogging will probably change due to that, but we’ll see.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone I don’t get any ARC’s so no 2015 reads for me yet!
Let me know if you filled out the survey on your site! What are some of your favorites? Also, feel free to see all the titles I read this year on my Pinterest board Books I Read in 2014!